A screening of legendary director Martin Scorsese’s newest flick, “The Wolf of Wall Street,” caused quite a stir on Saturday in Beverly Hills, CA.
Hosted by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), the viewing of the booze and boob-filled biography of former Wall Street swindler Jordan Belfort was marred by a thoroughly displeased screenwriter who allegedly screamed, “Shame on you – disgusting,” at the 71-year-old director as he exited an elevator.
In addition to the unknown, disgruntled audience member, actress and AMPAS member Hope Holiday, who also attended the screening was not too partial to the film’s outlandish antics on-screen either. She expressed her sentiments as well as a play-by-play of the incident via Facebook Sunday morning claiming the film was “torture” and the “same disgusting crap over and over again.”
However, according to The Wrap, a representative from Paramount, the studio releasing the movie, said accusations of a screaming match were unfounded and merely a “negative comment” was relayed to the button-pushing director.
Despite some reviews describing Scorsese’s project as an amoral, repugnant romp and a “three-hour bacchanalia,” the Daily Mail reports that “The Wolf of Wall Street” was met with applause at the Q&A that followed the “well-attended” screening. Moreover, DiCaprio’s performance is being hailed as one of, if not, the best of his notorious “always an Oscar nominee, never a winner” career.
The salacious black comedy set to be released on Christmas Day.
- ‘Shame on You!’ Says Academy Member to Martin Scorsese at ‘Wolf of Wall Street’ Screening (thewrap.com)
- Martin Scorsese heckled at Academy screening of The Wolf of Wall Street (theguardian.com)
- Academy Member Slams Martin Scorsese at ‘Wolf of Wall Street’ Screening (aceshowbiz.com)
- ‘Wolf Of Wall Street’ Academy Screening Didn’t Go Well (huffingtonpost.com)
- The Wolf of Wall Street’s Martin Scorsese heckled at Academy screening (digitalspy.co.uk)
- Wolf of Wall Street Shocks Academy Member; “Shame on You” They “Screamed” (contactmusic.com)